
WHY OH WHY SO MANY CHICKENS-Izzy has been wanting chickens so Jared and I told her if she got the chicken coop cleaned out and read about how to take care of chicken she could get a FEW. We had talked about getting a couple of hens that were already laying and then maybe get two babies, I didn't want any more little things to take care of. Monday I was gone all day and Jared was with the kids so he helped them finish the chicken coop and and then took them to get chicks and this is what they ended up with, 18 chicks that are only 5 days old. But they said they might not all live, THANK GOODNESS. They still have to be under a light and we were worried it was too cold the first night so I let them put them in the mud room the first night, by morning with the smell I woke up to they were back outside. If they can handle being mauled like crazy I think they can handle a little cool weather.

The girls are out in the chicken coop 1st thing in the morning and many times in the day checking and rechecking the chicks. They took the pictures, I try to avoid the stinky place. I am just the hand washing Nazi.

Izzy loves the chicks. Abby and her studied about how to care for chicks for days before and they are taking good care of them. I am really proud of how much Abby help Izzy learn, they know a ton about chicks. The first night Abby noticed that they had pasting which basically means that they have a bunch of dry pooh on their bum and you have to clean it off so they can poop and not get sick. So Abby got a rag and her and Izzy cleaned bums for a while, Oh the joys of farm life. For some reason the little things really gross me out.

Molly doesn't make too much fuss about it all she just thinks they are sooooo cute. I am really excited to have our own fresh eggs, for those of you who don't get fresh eggs each day they really are so much better than the genetically altered yuck you get from the store. If you ever have a chance to go to a commercial egg farm you should go and see where your food comes from, then you with have 18 chickens in your front yard too.
No comments:
Post a Comment